Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Style Inspiration: Misty Day, American Horror Story: Coven


Last year, Ryan Murphy introduced the best (in my opinion) season of American Horror Story: Season 3, Coven (on FX).  While I was giddy at all of the girl power and witchery, the show ultimately left me with the most perfect style icon that I could ask for.


Misty Day, portrayed by AHS veteran, Lily Rabe, is an isolated, necromancing, country swamp witch who idolizes Stevie Nicks. (How could you not?!)

Misty demonstrating the Stevie Nicks "shawl twirl"

For being stuck in the woods in hiding most of her life, she developed some impeccable fashion sense, with wild, curly hair, dramatic smokey eyes, and drapey bohemian garb coupled with seventies Wicca.  A lot of her wardrobe is easily recognized as Free People (I worked at Urban Outfitters in college, don’t judge).  She obviously takes notes from Nicks' style, but with a more practical, effortless modern flair that fits a boho Southern nomad.

I found some pretty cool inspiration collages online while hopelessly wishing I could afford to mimic her.

This is for sure one of my favorite collages.  The floral kimono is to DIE for.  I bought a tie-dye one from Urban Outfitters a few weeks, ago and I've been wearing it a ton lately.  But I found cheaper floral versions on F21.com and Target.com that I'm contemplating ordering soon.

And where would AHS: Coven be without black hats and maxi dresses?  I got mine from Free People and Urban Outfitters.  And I've been wearing clogs instead of boots to combat Alabama's summer heat.  But Jeffery Campbell buckle ankle boots compliment this look well.

Misty's look can be achieved through a lot of dark colors and earth tones, and LOTS of layering.  You'll never see her without a few necklaces and rings, and her look is completed by a floral, fringe kimono or shawl.

The American flag scarf (UrbanOutfitters.com) made appearances throughout the season.  I'm dying over the navy velvet incorporation here.

Misty is definitely a turquoise fanatic like myself.  I've been using a lot of my grandmother's vintage pieces (from a previous post) in my outfits.

If you can't tell from the watermark, this photo was retrieved from http://WornOnTV.com/.  The kimono is an Urban Outfitters piece that is currently out of stock :(

Throughout the series, Misty incorporated daring pieces to her ensemble; a top hat or a sequined cropped top.  
There's a sheer maxi-skirt just like this on Target.com, btw.


Misty usually opts for lace-up boots instead of Nicks' trademark platforms, and I always love a good boot-sock.  I'm still currently searching for a wide corselet-style belt like one of the ones she wears.


Found this image on http://ShopYourTV.com/.
Definitely one of my favorite outfits.  This Free People dress is complimented perfectly by the statement belt.  I'm in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment