Monday, June 23, 2014

Decoratin' Shmecoratin'


This year has brought about a lot of changes in my life: getting a new job, moving on from stressful and negative situations, making more time for myself and my family, and being able to move into an apartment by myself.

I try to stop every once in a while throughout my hectic day to reflect and acknowledge how immensely blessed I have been. I am extremely fortunate to be able to afford a place that I consider to be perfect and transform it into a home.  And with this reflection comes great pride and desire to make my living space beautiful for myself.

I’d never made much effort in decorating before, aside from hanging up unique show posters and antique knick-knacks, so I was admittedly a bit overwhelmed when I began looking for things to place in my new home.

In searching for the perfect place for you, I suggest seeking out a realtor.  I stumbled upon H2 Realty in my seemingly infinite search of apartments, and met the most helpful chick, Linley Real.  She showed me my awesome place that I immediately fell in love with.

It’s also beneficial to make a list of features or amenities that you want within your price-range.  For instance, after dealing with constantly broken (a.k.a. never-bothered-to-repair’d) washers/dryers in my old apartment’s “laundry room” (using the term loosely), I decided that my next apartment had to have a washer and dryer, or at least a washer/dryer connection.  I’d literally live in a cardboard box if it had a washer and dryer that actually worked.


Another tip from me to you is: invest.  I had some graduation money saved up and used it to buy a new 2-piece bedroom suite, mattress, couch, and armchair (the comforter (Anthropologie) and pillows were a birthday gift from my parents).  I was actually rockin’ a twin bed along with some hand-me-down DIY’d furniture for the longest, and it was time for a change.  I was comfortable with spending the money because I know I’d use these items for a long time, no matter where I moved to next.


In creating my apartment’s overall look, I found that it was pretty beneficial to live in a one-bedroom. To me, small spaces make cozy homes and it doesn’t feel bizarre to use the same color scheme throughout the space.

Curtains and tie-backs from Urban Outfitters

I picked my favorite colors first: dark dark purple, turquoise, and grey (with white and black accents).  From there, I began seeking out pieces that would work with my colors, with a combination of kitschy trinkets to prevent the “matchy-ness” from becoming monotonous.  From there, it became easy.  I tried to keep practicality in mind to prevent myself from filling up the space too much.


My bookshelf turned into somewhat of a catchall for my books, random thrift store finds, and small sentimental things I’ve accumulated over the years.  It is a family heirloom, constructed by my late great-grandfather who was actually blind, so his furniture is really special to us.  I painted it black along with my two antique telephone end tables, and my mom’s old kitchen table/chairs, to pull the room together.

My mom picked up a lot of stuff, including my shower curtain, from a small overstock store in Gadsden called Dirt Cheap.  They have some really great deals, even if the name is pretty silly.

Cute paper flowers can add a unique, bright DIY touvh

OBSESSED with my little porch!  Hanging planters from Home Depot and metal chairs from Target.


I decorate on a budget.  Half of my stuff is from thrift stores, or found in my maw-maw’s basement, and the other half is from cheaper places like Hobby Lobby, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pier 1, Target, World Market, or Urban Outfitters.  I’d say my best finds were the rug (easy to clean and ties the room together) from UO, lanterns from World Market, (which were surprisingly cheap and easy to hang, and the floral lampshade from Wal-Mart.


My next project is to recover my kitchen chairs.  The mauve velveteen seats are an amazing color, but they attract cat hair like nobody’s business, and I think they’d stand out so much better with grey and white polka dotted fabric.

Fresh flowers in a new apartment makes it THAT much better.  These are from my lovely friends on the night of my housewarming dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment