Friday, June 27, 2014

What I'm Listening To


Although life can be busy, I still try to make time to breathe and take a load off.  Relaxing, to me, is reading a compelling article or captivating novel, listening to good music, and watching bad television.  I'll file it under "What I'm Reading/Watching/Listening To.  Hopefully I’ll be more apt to take these little breaks now that I’m committed to making an entry once a week.

I guess I’ll start off with my favorite bands on this post.


Shovels + Rope
- The first time I saw this band was when I was a freshman in college, opening up for Deer Tick, (who you’ll read about further down this list) at Zydeco of all (trashy) places, and I was instantly hooked.  Since then, I’ve seen them so many times, from The Nick, to Bottletree (for my 20th birthday!!), to Workplay, and various festivals in between.



Deer Tick
- I’ve loved Deer Tick since I was sixteen years old, I believe War Elephant had just been released, and I heard Dirty Dishes for the first time (it still holds a tearful, special place in my heart).  I’ve travelled a few different places to see them, as well as their various side projects (all on Partisan Records <3), Middle Brother (Dawes + Deer Tick + Jonny [Corndawg] Fritz [who also played for my 20th birthday]) and The Diamond Rugs (Dead Confederate + Deer Tick + Los Lobos + The Black Lips + Six Finger Satellite), where I met John McCauley on Halloween two years ago at Workplay, one of the greatest moments of my life.



The Pine Hill Haints
- As far as local bands go, the Haints are a cut above the rest.  I hate using cliché phrases in writing, but it’s just too true.  Even in comparison to my favorite bands of all time, they’re still pretty high on the totem pole.  They’re smart enough to play Birmingham sparingly, so every time I get to see them, it’s really special.  Unique and home-grown, the Haints are in a genre all their own, with components that can appeal to any music-lover.



Quilt
- I’m a sucker for neo-psych. Especially the stuff coming out of Austin for the past few years.  However, Quilt, brings a different kind of psychedelic revival from Massachusetts, less heavy, heady art rock and more tranquil, harmonic tunes, a la The Mamas & The Papas.  They’ve only played Bottletree twice, once opening for the Fresh & Onlys probably two years ago, and once opening for Olivia Tremor Control a year before that.  I thought their debut album was literally perfect, but they just released a stellar sophomore album that I’ve fallen in love with.  They’re definitely my favorite new band right now. I will hopefully be seeing them in Nashville on August 29.



I actually interviewed them for a newspaper I interned with when I was in college, and it was so refreshing to meet extremely talented, down-to-earth musicians that were actually my age.  Not to bring down my blog with heavy emotion, but I summed up their style by looking back on the anti-war protests coupled with the music from the sixties and comparing it to the war in the Middle East that we are living with today, since we were little kids, except we’re expressing ourselves digitally, and in social media, but we’re still harboring the same confused and heart-wrenched feelings that our grandparents had.

The Black Angels
Same new-sych, but a lot darker, less thoughtful, more acid-trippy. However, I promise you don’t have to do drugs to enjoy this band.  They’re one of my absolute favorites, probably because they remind me so much of The Doors, which are in their own category of life-changing influences that have shaped my entire being, but that’s a different story.  The Black Angels always have the BEST unkown-ish openers, like Hanni El Khatib, Spindrift, and the Night Beats, and they always the best live shows: heady, loud, raw.  One time a guy in a group of swingers doing ecstasy punched me at the Masquerade (home of all scene band shows) in Atlanta, but it was worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment