Monday, June 16, 2014

Sephora Opened My Mind And My Wallet

I’m a cheapskate. I’ve always bought drugstore makeup.  I’ve always given women a side-glance whenever I see or hear of them spending more than $5-10 on a product. Yeah, I’m REAL cheap.

However, I’m new to the Sephora craze that’s buzzing all over.  I’d always tagged along when my friends would shop there and thought to myself, “I don’t need this crap… I have Cover Girl!”

Whenever I try new things, a lot of the time I attribute it to my mother.  She took me to Sephora a few weeks ago and convinced me to let their associates do my makeup and match my skin tone.  

Let me tell ya, if you’re planning on buying something anyway, let these people do your makeup. You’ll feel gorgeous the rest of the day and pick up a few beauty tips too.  

You guys, I’ve had it all wrong.  When it comes to foundation, I admit, I’m pretty clueless. It’s a wonder that I actually get my color right half of the time, let alone find a product that really works for me. 

He matched my skin-tone with a little camera device that identified my color and undertone and it emailed me a list of products just for me. I felt so special.

Upon recalling the hours I’d spent roaming the aisles at Target, you can imagine my surprise when the Sephora makeup artist picked my foundation from the skincare section.



Kate Somerville IllumiKate CC Cream is my jam. The price-tag was a bit… out of my comfort zone, to say the least. But my mom can convince me to buy anything by saying, “Spend it now, before you have a husband and kids!”

So I paid fifty bucks for the dang makeup, and I have had no regrets.  It feels so light and fresh throughout the day and my skin underneath has never looked better.  (Plus it’s 50 spf!)

I will say though, a comparable product (and the one I used before buying Kate Somerville’s product) is Physicians Formula Super CC Cover Cream. It’s pretty breathable and lasts all day.  It’s $14 at Target.



Now I’m a Sephora Beauty Insider and I get points for buying things that I need anyway, and I can use those points to buy little products whenever I feel like it!

I hardly ever wear any eye makeup other than mascara, and I had to admit, I looked dang good with the chocolate eye shadow and black liquid liner that the Sephora makeup artist used on me.

He even said I have the perfect “cat eye.” (also wearing MAC Russian Red Matte Lipstick)





But instead of listening to my mom this time, I bought e.l.f. Essential Flawless Eyeshadow and a Revlon Color Stay liquid eye pen in black and from Target.  So, I’m still a thrifty lady at heart.  I promise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment