Friday, July 11, 2014

Volunteerin'

If you know me at all, you know that I have a huge passion for social activism, feminism, and most importantly, volunteering.  I volunteer once a week at the Crisis Center of Birmingham.  I am a Volunteer Advocate for their Rape Response program, where a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (S.A.N.E.) and I provide immediate support to victims of sexual assault in Birmingham and nearby areas.  (There's also rape response centers in Huntsville and Tuscaloosa!)

Between college and finding a full-time job in my career field, I was also a part-time shift manager for the Crisis Center's Crisis & Suicide Hotline, where I talked to people on the phone who are in a crisis or are simply feeling down.  Both positions were extremely gratifying and allowed me to find my passion in helping other s.  The Crisis Center has truly changed my life.

I feel like this would be a good opportunity to let my readers know about some volunteer training opportunities coming up this month!  There are lots of options.  You can volunteer with Rape Response like me, or volunteer on one of our crisis lines: Crisis & Suicide Hotline, TeenLink, Kids Helpline, and Senior Talk Line.


Crisis Center
VOLUNTEER TRAINING SCHEDULE
Summer 2014
Saturday, July 19th9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
All Programs: Crisis Theory and Core Conditions of Counseling
Monday, July 21th6:00 a.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Rape Response: Overview of Sexual Assault and Legal Issues
Tuesday, July 22th6:00 a.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Crisis and Suicide Line: Stages in the Helping Process
Kids’ Help Line/Teen Link
Monday, July 28th6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Rape Response: Medical Issues – SANE Tour
Teusday, July 29th6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Crisis and Suicide Line: Directive vs. Non-Directive Intervention
Kids’ Help Line/Teen Link
Saturday, August 2nd9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Crisis and Suicide Line: Suicide Prevention and Intervention
Kids’ Help Line/Teen Link
Monday, August 4th6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Rape Response: Overview of Sexual Assault and Legal Issues
Tuesday, August 5th6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Crisis and Suicide Line/ Kids’ Help Line/Teen Link: Program Issues


If you would like to volunteer, fill out an application on CrisisCenterBham.com here:http://crisiscenterbham.com/application.php
On the website, you can find more information on their programs as well as training materials, etc.

I believe that everyone should volunteer at some point in their lives; giving back  to your community and connecting with people really shapes you as a person, I think.  You can make a lasting impact on someone's life in their time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment