Thursday, July 10, 2014

Favorite Places in Alabama


I love traveling, yet I still get really giddy over finding great places in Alabama to visit and revisit with the people I love most.  There's so many interesting things to do and see in Alabama, and I can't wait to keep exploring and find many more places to hold dear.


Pine Hill Haints at Waverly Boogie 2013

My favorite might be Standard Deluxe, home of the Waverly Boogie.  The openness and atmosphere of this venue is perfect, plus the surroundings are absolutely beautiful.  Located on the edge of Auburn in a small town called Waverly, Standard Deluxe is a printing company that holds an "Old 2280 Boogie twice a year, otherwise known as Waverly Boogie.  Folk, bluegrass, country, and honky-tonk bands from all over the Southeast play and attract hundreds of people to this little yard.  And everyone is so friendly that it feels just like a big family gathering.

Doc Dailey at Waverly Fall Boogie 2013

An honorable mention would have to include this antique flea market a few miles away in Opelika (where you can also find the Overall Company):




Chez Lulu in English Village (with an Honorable mention of Continental Bakery English Village and Continental Bakery Downtown) is my favorite restaurant.  Specializing in french cuisine, their menu is full of unique dishes and local ingredients.  The staff is so welcoming and the atmosphere is intimate and eclectic, I almost feels like I'm in French Bohemia.




Parkside Café:
"Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name..."  We all know the song and the feeling.  At Parkside, you can see pretty much everyone you know in Birmingham, all in one cozy location.

One aspect of Birmingham that I've quickly become obsessed with is the Light the Rails installation downtown.  It's one of the most beautiful pieces of art I've ever seen, mixing vintage railroad architecture with streamline modern colors, Light the Rails is truly a sight to see.  The lights seem to stay on all night, and it inadvertently catches any passerby's attention.  It definitely brightens the drab palette of the city in a unique way.

Hangout Music Festival, May 2013

I have developed a love for beaches as of late, which combats with my natural desire to camp in the mountains as well as my inclination to traipse within a big city.  Alas, I fell in love with Orange Beach from traveling there with my boyfriend to his family's condo for low-key weekends, and going to the Hangout Music Festival.


My mom, me, and my cousin, Natalie at Regions Field, 2014

Birmingham has built somewhat of a trifecta of entertainment in the Southside area.  Regions Field and Railroad Park, along with Good People Brewing Company, are quickly becoming a go-to hangout spot for all Birminghamians.  Inexpensive and fun, these locations are both great places to spend any weekend.


What’s On Second? is one of the most unique places I've had the pleasure of finding in Birmingham.  Full of eclectic and bizarre mementos from several different eras of the past, this little shop is filled to the gills with interesting things to look at.  Located in the Second Avenue North district, it is part of an area booming with local business with Charm, Faith, Rogue Tavern, and Das Haus among many others.  It's also part of the monthly Second Avenue Sidewalk Sale which brings many Birmingham sellers to one location.



If you want to step into a piece of history, look no further than the Alabama Theatre.  It's marvelous.  The indoor architecture and decor is breathtaking, almost like it should never be touched, but periodically, they will show a film series that invites people from all over Birmingham.  It's also the focal point of the annual Sidewalk Film Festival, one of my favorite Birmingham events, bringing actors and film makers from all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment