Friday, October 3, 2014

Skincare Adventures

I have been very fortunate to have clear skin throughout my late teens and early twenties. But, I actually haven't had a pimple in SO long, that when one arose last week, I had no idea what to do. And it was a big one right on the side of my nose. You know, the ones that are really red and swollen underneath the skin? It was so big and hurt so badly, that I desperately pulled out a bottle of six-year-old Proactiv toner in a pathetic attempt to bring it to a head. 

Guys, It was bad and I needed supplies FAST.

Then I did a little research online (that I wish I would have have been created when I was battling acne in my early teenage years) and found recommendations for natural remedies.

(gosh, I didn't even notice that I left the price tags on these, haha sorry, I know that's tacky.)


So I went to Golden Temple in Five Points to get some supplies:


• Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel toner - Okay, I really love the design on the bottle, haha. But this stuff is really great to use after cleansing/exfoliating in lieu of a harsh alcohol toners that can irritate your skin even more.
• Now Solutions Rose Hip Seed Oil - Now has a whole variety of essential oils for the skin and other remedies, but rosehip seed oil is one of the best things you can use. It moisturizes the skin, improves complexion, and promotes cell regrowth. My skin has been so soft and dewey since using it nightly. I love it.



• Desert Essence 100% Australian Tea Tree Oil - Most everyone will tell you that tea tree oil is the best thing you can use for fighting acne. But not only did it dissolve my nasty pimple, it helped the blemish heal and not leave a scar where I'd mashed it (I'm only human!!). 

The only downside is that I didn't realize that you're supposed to dilute it before you put it on your face, so I've been using water, but buying a roller ball with a mixture of essential oils might be more beneficial and easier to apply.

Here's some good options from Aura Cacia and Burt's Bees:

The Burt's Bees is blended with salicylic acid, which is essential for combatting breakouts. The Aura Cacia blend contains jajoba oil and coconut oil, which are great moisturizers, so it really depends on your personal preference.



• Derma e Very Clear Spot Treatment - This stuff worked wonders when I left it on my pimple overnight. It contains salicylic acid and tea tree oil and is all natural. There are also other Derma e components you can add for a skincare routine that works together. They have formulas in three or four steps for any skin ailment you might encounter. I'm swearing by this stuff from now on.


Other things to consider:

(The Vasoline is just some lip balm I grabbed, haha - it has cocoa butter!)

I got all of this stuff at Walgreen's. I'm not sure if benzoyl peroxide is too harsh of a chemical to sell in an all-natural grocery store, but they were fresh out. And obviously there was no concealer either. 

Of course I have my own concealer, but I feel like it's pertinent to use skin-clearing concealers when covering up bumps and blemishes, or it will just make it worse.


• Almay Clear Complexion Concealer - I have been really satisfied with this product so far. I'm not sure about the trademarked "BlemisHeal Technology," but it does contain salicylic acid (buzzword for this entry, haha), along with aloe and chamomile to reduce swelling and redness. (What also worked for the excruciating swelling was applying a hot bag of black tea on the zit. I held it there while I was at my desk at work, haha) All of that while still providing full and pretty long-lasting coverage over the redness. Plus, it's pretty darn cheap. I paid $6 for it.

Other brands recommended are: Neutrogena SkinClearing Blemish Concealer and Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Concealer



Also during my research, I stumbled upon an article (and I can't find it for the life of me now) that said using benzoyl peroxide after applying salicylic acid can be beneficial, since salicylic acid clears your pores and the benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria. I've heard that Clean & Clear's Persa-gel 10 benzoyl peroxide spot treatment is highly recommended, but they were out a Walgreen's, so I just got the generic brand and it worked fine.








No comments:

Post a Comment